Organically grown living microgreens and shoots in assorted varieties! (Choose the type you want from the drop-down menu. Varieties are listed alphabetically.) Microgreens have all the nutrients of the full grown plants packed into their tiny little bodies, so they're the perfect way to add a nutrient-packed punch to your smoothies, salads, soups, omelettes, pizzas, sandwiches, and stir-fries! For each order, you'll receive the contents of one 5"x5" pot, repotted into a clamshell for safe transport and storage. (Keep reading to find a description of how each one tastes, as well as suggestions on how to enjoy them!)
Because they're still alive when you receive them, these microgreens will have a much longer shelf life than if they'd already been cut. So you can use some now, and leave some for later! Just make sure to water regularly enough to keep the grow pad/roots damp but not soggy. If you place them in a sunny windowsill they'll also keep right on growing. If you don't want them to grow anymore, place them in the fridge instead. VERY IMPORTANT: Keep the lid wide open if you're storing the microgreens on a windowsill, or just barely open if you're storing them in the fridge.
HOW THEY TASTE:
- AMARANTH: Mild, almost sweet, nutty flavor. These pretty greens are VERY tender and are best for use in smoothies, on sandwiches, or as a garnish sprinkled over a salad or dish.
- ARUGULA: The thing you notice is sweetness, followed very quickly by a rush of heat and the distinct taste of Arugula. The heat is quite impressive, but only lingers for a moment.
- BASIL: Tastes exactly like Basil! Use these anywhere that the taste of Basil would appeal----which, to me, is just about everywhere!
- BROCCOLI: Distinct Broccoli flavor with a hint of Cabbage, and just the tiniest twinge of soft heat.
- CABBAGE: 100% Cabbage!
- CARROT: These actually taste like carrot roots, plus the slightest touch of parsley.
- CHIA: Mild flavor similar to lettuce or alfalfa sprouts.
- JAPANESE MUSTARD SPINACH: Like Mustard without any of the heat, plus a hint of Spinach flavor mixed in.
- LETTUCE: Exactly like adult lettuce.
- RADISH: Strong flavor similar to Mustard, with a moderate touch of heat.
HOW TO ENJOY THEM: While mixing microgreens into a salad is the most obvious way to eat them, there are actually MANY ways! We very much enjoy them on pizza, in sandwiches, in omelettes, added into tuna or chicken salad, stirred into pastas and soups, and tossed in with other vegetables to be lightly sauteed! Many of our customers also use them in daily smoothies, as the tender microgreens blend down so much easier and you can use MUCH less of them to obtain a full serving's worth of nutrients. (Unless you're already accustomed to the strong flavor of cruciferous veggies in your smoothies, I suggest starting with the milder, but equally nutritious, varieties such as CARROT, CHIA, LETTUCE, AMARANTH, and PEA SHOOTS.)